Building Permits - An Overview
Building permits are very beneficial to you and your community. By working with expert code officials, you will benefit from their knowledge of building codes to ensure your construction project is built right, will be safe, and will last. Because building permits and county building codes are frequently changing, it is important to stay up to date on all code.
Benefits of Building Permits
WHAT'S A BUILDING PERMIT?
A building permit gives you legal permission to start construction of a building project in accordance with approved drawings and specifications. Osceola Energy performs solar and electrical work at the highest standards possible - if a permit is required by code, we will only perform the work with the proper building permits. Quality work, customer safety, and reliability are our top priorities.
WHEN DO YOU NEED A BUILDING PERMIT?
For the DIY-er, the best way to find out if you need a permit is to call your local building department. Discuss your plans with the code official before beginning construction to determine whether you need a permit. Even if a permit is not needed, the code official will answer construction questions and may provide valuable advice.
BUILDING PERMITS ARE USUALLY REQUIRED FOR THE FOLLOWING:
- New buildings
- Additions (bedrooms, bathrooms, family, rooms, etc.)
- Residential work (decks, garages, fences, fireplaces, pools, water heaters, etc.)
- Renovations (garage conversions, basement furnishings, kitchen expansions, reroofing, etc.)
- Electrical systems (including solar energy, panel upgrades, etc.)
- Plumbing systems
- HVAC systems
Your home or business is an investment. If your construction project does not comply with the codes adopted by your community, the value of your investment could be reduced -property insurers may not cover work done without permits and inspections. If you decide to sell a home or building that has had modifications without proper building permits, you may be required to tear down the addition, leave it unoccupied, or make costly repairs!
A property owner who can show that code requirements were strictly and consistently met has a strong ally if something happens to trigger a potentially destructive lawsuit. This is why it is so important to hire a licenses, bonded, and ensured contractor that stays up to date on the most recent construction codes and understands the ins and outs of working with the county on building permits.
The Permit Process
As part of our full-service solar and electrical process, Osceola Energy takes care of the entire permitting process for you. Let our vast permitting experience help cut through the red tape, put pencil to paper, and get you faster results.
- Gather application for all building permits required per code.
- Submit Application: "Who, What, When, Where, and How" of the job, along with any sketches or plans of the proposed work.
- Review Process: Code officials review the plans and determine if the project is in compliance with local requirement and building code.
- Receive Permit: Now that the permit has been approved, you have legal permission to start construction. A fee, based on the scope of the job, is collected to cover the cost of the application, the review, and the inspection process.
- Job-Site Visits: On-site inspections from a code official will be required to make certain the work conforms to the permit, local codes, and plans.
- Final Approval: The code official will provide documentation when the construction is complete and code compliance is determined (in the electrical field, we call this a "green tag") - giving you the personal satisfaction and peace of mind that the job was done correctly and to quality standards.
Ready to work with a professional New Mexico solar and electrical specialist to take care of all of your energy needs? Let Osceola Energy handle all of the permitting and labor for you! We are New Mexico's premier solar & electrical contractor.